Sometime back I came across several write ups of Hindus where they attempted to refute the Muslim claim that Prophet Muhammad was predicted in the Bhavishya Purana as a true Prophet of God. The main blog which attempts to prove that Muhammad (peace be upon him) was a demon (God Forbid) is www.bhavishyapuran.blogspot.in. The Hindu opinions in this regard, however, are divergent. Some Hindus rejected Bhavishya Purana as an interpolated scripture because it even contains the events of the British Empire in India and mention of Queen Victoria. Other Hindus decided to take a unique route. They accepted that Prophet Muhammad was mentioned in the Bhavishya Purana but in a negative manner as a demon incarnate rather than a saintly person.
They attempted to do this only by picking few words in from the Sanskrit text of Prati Sarg Parv where this is mentioned and translating them in a wrong manner.
I will present before you the correct interpretation of the passage from the Bhavishya Purana and refute the evil propaganda of these misled Hindus who are driven by the ideology of hate, because they consider all non Indians as evil and untouchable.
My opinion about Bhavishya Purana: No doubt it is a highly interpolated book, just like the other books of Hinduism are interpolated, be it the Vedas (click here and here), the Mabharata, the Gita (click here), etc. Islam is not dependent on this Purana or other Purana to prove itself. Let the whole corpus of Hindu texts speak ill of Islam, still that would have no impact on the veracity of Islam. Still, the chapter in question does not necessarily speak about Islam in a negative manner, as the Hindu propagandists are claiming. With Almighty’s help, I will refute their mistranslation and misinterpretation to the core.
The main refutation
The first thing one has to understand about the relevant passage of Bhavishya Purana, is that it is a dream or a vision and not an actual reality because no meeting of any Raja Bhoj happened with Prophet Muhammad, nor does history record any such interaction. Dreams always have to be interpreted and not taken too literally. The figures in the dreams have deep meaning which needs to be revealed. This is the only plausible way to interpret this chapter. I will highlight the main figures of this dream/vision and what they symbolize. They are as follows:
1. Mahamad: Stands for Prophet Muhammad, as well as Islam.
2. Raja Bhoj: Symbolizes the dominant innocent Hindu population of India
3. Kalidaas: Symbolizes the shrewd Brahmins and Swamis of India
4: Angelic being: Symbolizes God or at times his envoy (doot)
The Sanskrit text of Pratisarg Parv 3; Khand 3; Adhyaai 3; Shlokas 5 to 27 is given below
Incorrect translation of shlokas 5-8 as given by the Hindus
He crossed the river Sindhu and conquered over the gandharas, mlecchas, shakas, kasmiris, naravas and sathas. He punished them and collected a large ammount of wealth. Then the king went along with Mahamada (Muhammad), the preceptor of mleccha-dharma, and his followers to the great god, Lord Shiva, situated in the desert. He bathed Lord Shiva with Ganges water and worshipped him in his mind with pancagavya (milk, ghee, yoghurt, cow dung, and cow urine) and sandalwood paste, etc. After he offered some prayers and pleased him.
At that time a spiritual teacher (Acharya) known as Mahamad (Muhammad) appeared amongst the Mlecchas (non Indians/non Aryans), along with his companions/disciples. The King after giving this Mahaa Deva (of angelic disposition) dweller of the desert (Marusthal Nivasi), a bath in the Panchgavya and the Ganges water (meaning honouring and praising him) offered him presents and showing him all reverence said: “I pay obeisance to you (Namaste) O Pride of Humanity (Girija Nath) dweller of the desert (Marusthal Nivaasi/Arabian dweller). You are the destroyer of the Devil (Tripurasur Naashaaya) who propagates deceit. You have been protected by fellow Mlecchas, and you are the embodiment of Divine Qualities (Sacchidanand Roopine). I am a your servant, and have come seeking your refuge.
Few points come out of these verses.
- Mahamad (Muhammad) has been called an Acharya (a spiritual teacher) of Mlecchas (the illiterate people).
- The King Bhoj (innocent Indian people) will yearn to follow Prophet Muhammad with all humility and accept him as their teacher.
- Muhammad is the destroyer of the Devil. Tripurasur in Puranic mythology stands for the Devil.
- Muhammad is a dweller of the desert. It cannot refer to Lord Shiva of the Puranas because his abode is said to be the Mount Kailash in the Himlayas and not the desert.
- The Prophet will be given protection against his enemies, by the fellow Mlecchas.
- Raja Bhoj washed the Prophet with Ganges water and Panchgavya. Since this is a vision, it cannot be taken literally but must be taken as symbolic for honour.
- He is called as the embodiment of divine qualities.
Meanings of certain words
Mleccha (म्लेच्छ): The word means a non Aryan, a foreigner, non Sanskrit speaking person according to its origin. Mleccha म्लेच्छ is itself a root according to Panini’s Dhatupath CHURADIGAN (tenth conjugation) चुरादिगणः whose meaning is अव्यक्तायां वाचि or unclear language. Mleccha only means one who speaks a foreign unknown language. it does not mean wicked according to Dhatupath of Panini. Later, it also took on the meaning of barbarian or an evil person. The reason for this is that according to the Castist Hindu view only Aryans are civilized and superior people. The rest of the world beyond the boundary of ‘Aryavarta’ is inferior and evil. As Hinduism is a religion which encourages racial discrimination and linguistic chauvinism, it is natural that they will look down upon the rest of the world as inferior; their religions as inferior, their language as inferior. From this perspective the word Mleccha, which stands for a non-Sanskrit speaking foreigner, has become synonymous with a barbarian. Below is the meaning of this word from Monier Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary.
The distinction between Aryas and Mlecchas is not on the basis of character but on the basis nationality as is clearly demarcated by Manu Smriti chapter 2: verses 21-23.
“21. That (country) which (lies) between the Himavat and the Vindhya (mountains) to the east of Prayaga and to the west of Vinasana (the place where the river Sarasvati disappears) is called Madhyadesa (the central region).
22. But (the tract) between those two mountains (just mentioned), which (extends) as far as the eastern and the western oceans, the wise call Aryavarta (the country of the Aryans).
23. That land where the black antelope naturally roams, one must know to be fit for the performance of sacrifices; (the tract) different from that (is) the country of the Mlecchas.”
Thus, according to the discriminatory interpretation of Hindus, only Aryavarta aka India is the place where noble people are found and the rest of the world is filled with evil people. Thus, Aryas are called Aryas (Noble) because they belong to the Aryavarta and Mlecchas are called so not because they are evil but because they are foreigners.
Thus the passage of Bhavishya Purana mentioning the Prophet Muhammad is among the Mlecchas means a foreigner, not a wicked man. If Hindus will insist that Mleccha means a sinner still that meaning will apply because Prophet Muhammad (sws) was raised by God to be a teacher (Acharya/Muallim) to the sinners of that time and purify them spiritually, teach them the Book of God and the Wisdom of it. In fact the Quran testifies to this in Surah 62 (al-Jumuah) verse 2 when it says
“It is He (God) Who has sent amongst the Unlettered People a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom — although they had been, before, in manifest error”
However, let me disprove the Hindu polemicists conclusively by establishing from Bhavishya Puran itself that the meaning of Mleccha is not necessarily bad.
The Aryan religion had slowly degenerated into a corrupted form and needed to be substituted by the Mleccha religion. This is mentioned in Bhavishya Puran Prati Sarg parv as follows,
“Corruption and violence will be the widespread in the seven sacred cities (Kashi etc.), because they will be inhabited by Dasyu, Shabara, Bhilla and other foolish people. In the land of Mlecchas, the followers of Mleccha religion will be wise and brave people. All good qualities will be found in Mlecchas and all sorts of vices will accumulate in the Aryas. Bharata and its islands will be ruled by Mlecchas. Having known these facts, O Muni, glorify the name of your Lord.”
[Bhavishya Puran, Prati sarg parv (3); Khand 1; Adhyaai 5, Shlokas 38-40]
This refutes the claims of the Hindu blog that Mlecchas are always bad and Aryas are always good. Let them now come forward and disprove us, if they can.
Let us turn to the meaning of shlokas 9-14.
Incorrect translation of shlokas 9-14 as given by the Hindus
Suta Goswami said: After hearing the king’s prayers, Lord Shiva said: O king Bhojaraja, you should go to the place called Mahakakshvara, that land is called Vahika and now is being contaminated by the mlecchas. In that terrible country there no longer exists dharma. There was a mystic demon named Tripura (Tripurasura), whom I have already burnt to ashes, he has come again by the order of Bali. He has no origin but he achieved a benediction from me. His name is Mahamada (Muhammad) and his deeds are like that of a ghost. Therefore, O king, you should not go to this land of the evil ghost. By my mercy your intelligence will be purified. Hearing this the king came back to his country and Mahamada(Muhammad) came with them to the bank of the river Sindhu.
“Suta Goswami said: After hearing the king’s praises, an angel (dev) said to him. “O Bhojraj, go to the place Mahakaaleshwar (in other words, look at the condition of that place). The Mlecchas have spoiled the well known land of the Arabs (Vahika Desh). Arya Dharm (the religion of truth in Indian parlance) is not to be found in that country. Before also there had appeared this Satan (Tripurasura: denoting Satanic times) whom I had killed. He has come again (meaning Satanic times have returned) by the order of the Devil. To show the right path to these misguided people and guide them to the truth, the well known Muhammad, who has been given the epithet of Brahma (Ayoni), is busy in bring the Pishachas (meat-eaters) to the right path. Therefore, O King, you need not go to this land of the foolish Pishachas. Through my mercy you will be sanctified here itself (in your own land). Hearing this the King returned to his country. Mahamada (Muhammad, signifying Islam) also came to the banks of the Sindhu””
Few points come out of these verses.
- The condition of Arabia will deteriorate and it will corrupted by evil-doers. Qurán has verified this condition prevailing in Arabia at the time of Prophet Muhammad in these words, “ظَهَرَ الْفَسَادُ فِي الْبَرِّ وَالْبَحْرِ بِمَا كَسَبَتْ أَيْدِي النَّاسِ Corruption has appeared throughout the land and sea by [reason of] what the hands of people have earned [Surah Rum 30: Verse 41]”
- The True Religion is not found there. Here, the Sanskrit terms Arya Dharm do not refer to Hinduism, but to the true religion in Indian parlance. This true religion of Ibraheem (Abraham/Brahma) had disappeared from Arabia. The Qurán has used the terms Deeni Hunafa and Deen al-Qayyim to describe this true religion, “وَمَا أُمِرُوا إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ الدِّينَ حُنَفَاءَ وَيُقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَيُؤْتُوا الزَّكَاةَ ۚ وَذَٰلِكَ دِينُ الْقَيِّمَةِ And they have been commanded no more than this: To worship Allah, offering Him sincere devotion, being true (in faith); to establish regular prayer; and to practice regular charity; and that is the Religion Right and Straight. [Surah Bayyinah 98: verse 4]”
- The present enemies of Prophet Muhammad and the Satanic elements will perish just like they perished in previous times such as the enemies of Prophet Noah, Lut, Saalih, Shuayb, Moses, Abraham etc the great civilizations like Aad, Thamud, Pharaoh, Namrud, etc perished ultimately. The word Tripurasur in this passage does not just stand for some mythological demon, but to the Satanic order. Remember this is a dream .
- In order to guide these misguided people Prophet Muhammad has been given the epithet of Brahma (Abraham) and he is busy in reforming his Arabian people. Hindus have mistranslated the term Ayoni as ‘having no origin’. If we adopt this meaning, the sentence becomes meaningless. Actually, in Hindu tradition, Ayoni is a title of Brahma (Brahma is sanskritized version of Abraham). The reason for giving Prophet Muhammad, the epithet of Brahma, is because just like Abraham (Brahma) fought against the sinfulness and idolatry of his time, similarly Prophet Muhammad will fight the idolatry of his time.
- King Bhoj (standing for the Indian people) will not have to go to Arabia. They will be purified when Muslims will arrive in India. So now that the Muslims have arrived in India, the Hindus should convert to Islam.
Now let us turn to the meaning of shlokas 15 onwards.
Incorrect translation of shlokas 15 onwards as given by the Hindus
He was expert in expanding illusion, so he said to the king very pleasingly: O great king, your god has become my servant. Just see, as he eats my remnants, so I will show you. The king became surprised when he saw this just before them. Then in anger Kalidasa rebuked Mahamada(Muhammad) “O rascal, you have created an illusion to bewilder the king, I will kill you, you are the lowest…”
This prince (i.e. Muhammad), full of wisdom, affectionately said to the King: “O King, your deities are my servants. Just see, they eat my leftover food”. Hearing this argument and seeing this, the King was surprised and was mulling to convert to this foreign religion. Then in terrible anger, Kalidas rebuked Mahamada (Muhammad) by saying, “O cheat, you have bewildered the King, with your wisdom. I will kill you, the wicked person that you are.”
Points come out of this passage
As you can see the Hindus are consistently mistranslating some words and not translating some other words. The words “the King was surprised and was mulling to convert to this foreign religion” are not given by the Hindu translation. This shows their intellectual dishonesty. Now, here are the inferences from this passage:
- The Hindus here mistranslated the word Maayaa as illusion, when in reality it also carries the meaning of Wisdom (See Monier Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary). Even in Rigveda 1/11/7 , the word Maayaa has been used in a positive sense for Lord Indra who is supposed to have resorted to Maayaa in order to defeat his enemies. मायाभिरिन्द्र मायिनं तवं शुष्णमवातिरः | The wily Śuṣṇa, Indra! thou overthrew with your wondrous powers.
- As all these events are happening in a dream, we need to interpret them properly. Now here, Prophet Muhammad reasons AFFECTIONATELY with Raja Bhoj (the Indian people), that the things/animals you worship in Hinduism, eat our leftover food. How then do they deserve our worship? This is the Prophetic method of argument. Prophets have an affection towards the people to whom they are sent. The Prophets urge people to use their mind and turn to the worship of one God, and leave the senseless worship of animals and other created things. The Prophet speaks wisely and affectionately with the people hoping that they will understand. Do they understand?
- Yes, Raja Bhoj, (symbolizing the majority of the people), is attracted to the plain message of the Prophet Muhammad. The people know that this argument is good and they feel attracted to Islam and think of converting to Islam. This is true even of modern times. Whenever the polytheistic people are questioned that how can you worship something which is lower than humans, they agree in their heart to this truth.
- But here comes the hurdle. As soon as the shrewd Brahmin priests (symbolized by Kalidas) get to know that the Indian people are attracted to Islam and will convert to Islam, they start their mischievous propaganda. Their most effective trick is to vilify Islam, insult the Prophet and try to ruin his image in the minds of the ordinary Hindus, so that people are no longer attracted to Islam. They even try to kill the Prophet (Muslims), because they have no knowledgeable response to the plain questions. This same strategy is being spoken of in this passage. Kalidas (i.e. the shrewd Brahmins), not able to respond to the plain argument of the Prophet (and Muslims), starts to rebuke the Prophet and call him insulting titles like cheat, fraud, magician, etc. This attitude of the enemies of Islam is even spoken of in the Holy Qurán in these words. فَلَمَّا جَاءَهُمُ الْحَقُّ مِنْ عِنْدِنَا قَالُوا إِنَّ هَٰذَا لَسِحْرٌ مُبِينٌ “When the Truth did come to them from Us, they said: “This is indeed evident magic!” [Surah Yunus 10: verse 76] فَلَمَّا جَاءَتْهُمْ آيَاتُنَا مُبْصِرَةً قَالُوا هَٰذَا سِحْرٌ مُبِينٌ “But when Our Signs came to them, that should have opened their eyes, they said: “This is sorcery manifest!” [Surah Naml 27: verse 13] إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَكْفُرُونَ بِآيَاتِ اللَّهِ وَيَقْتُلُونَ النَّبِيِّينَ بِغَيْرِ حَقٍّ وَيَقْتُلُونَ الَّذِينَ يَأْمُرُونَ بِالْقِسْطِ مِنَ النَّاسِ فَبَشِّرْهُمْ بِعَذَابٍ أَلِيمٍ “As to those who deny the Signs of Allah and in defiance of right, slay the prophets, and slay those who teach just dealing with mankind, announce to them a grievous penalty.” [Surah Aalim Imran 3: verse 21]
The lesson in this passage of Bhavishya Purana is that people of India should not fall in the tricks of shrewd Brahmin priests like VHP/RSS/Arya Samaj/ISKCON/Art of Living/Agniveer/Ramdev etc. They should ignore their propaganda against Islam and Prophet Muhammad and embrace the religion of Prophet Muhammad, who loves them and is affectionate to them.
Now let us turn to the meaning of shlokas 22 onwards.
Incorrect translation of shlokas 22 onwards as given by the Hindus
Points to be considered.
- The city of Madina is spoken as being free from intoxication (Mad Heen). We know that wine barrels were emptied in the streets of Madina, never to be refilled. This is a righteous city.
- The angelic being (devroop) here is a God’s envoy who is informing the Indian people of the features of Muslims.
- Arya Dharma will be substituted by Islam, as the old religion has become corrupted. We all know that the Vedas, Upanishads, Mahabharata, Gita, and Purans have become corrupted. Vedas are not studied by common masses anymore and they are too voluminous to be books of daily guidance. For this reason, the Holy Qurán is substituting them.
- God will establish the meat eating religion. Hinduism had wrongly become vegetarian and abadoned meat eating under the influence of Buddhism and Jainism. Otherwise in Vedas and other Hindu scriptures, meat eating is allowed. Now Islam will be again allowing consumption of meat. The word Pishacha Dharma in this passage has been wrongly translated by the Hindus as a demoniac religion. It actually means meat eating religion. Because meat eating in corrupted Hinduism had been looked down upon as demoniac act, therefore the Pishacha was equated to demon. Otherwise from its root, it stands for meat. पिशित in Sanskrit means flesh or meat; पेशी means a lump of flesh or meat. So highlighting one word just to deceive ordinary Hindus in thinking of Islam as a demoniac religion, is real demoniac behaviour of the shrewd Brahmins, (depicted by Kalidas).
- This passage also speaks of the features of Muslims, which we all know of. I will only explain few of the contentious words because they tend to be emphasized by the Hindu blog. The passage uses the word Dushaka (दूषक) which normally is thought to mean polluted. However, in Sanskrit it carries another meaning of दोष Dosha (Blame; Objection; Refutation). Some of the meanings of the word दूषण Dooshana in V.S. Apte’s Practical Sanskrit-English Dictionaryare,
- Adverse argument
Therefore, Dharmadooshaka in this context here will mean refuter of false religion. One that will put false religious beliefs and practices in the dock and abandon them. Now, when it does so, obviously, from the perspective of the people of those false religions, it will a pollution or corruption of their false religion. So, if we adopt that meaning also, it is perfectly okay. It is a fact that Islam refutes the false ideas like Caste System, which was made the integral part of Hindu Religion. To the Hindus, who believe in this system, certainly, abolishing caste is a corruption in Hindu religion, because without Caste System there is no Hinduism. So, Islam’s message of equality of all humans, did not go well with the shrewd Brahmins.
- Islam is the future of India.
Let the common Hindus not fall into the trap of Hindutva propaganda against Islam and Prophet Muhammad and without any further delay, accept the pure religion of Islam, and fulfill this dream of Bhavishya Puran.
Meaning of Asur असुर
The Hindu blog attempted to make the common Hindus believe that Prophet Muhammad was an Asur (demon). But let me expose their falsehood. They do not even know their own scriptures. If Asur only means evil spirit or demon, may I ask, why are Hindu Vedic deities like Indra, Agni aur Rudra given the attribute of Asur? Impossible!, said the Hindu with whom I discussed. “Don’t worry”, I said. “I will show you”. So saying I quoted from Rigveda 1/24/14
अव ते हेळो वरुण नमोभिरव यज्ञेभिरीमहे हविर्भिः |कषयन्नस्मभ्यमसुर परचेता राजन्नेनांसि शिश्रथः कर्तानि ||
With bending down, oblations, sacrifices, O Varuna, we deprecate your anger: Wise Asura, you King of wide dominion, loosen the bonds of sins by us committed.
Here, Vedic God, Varuna has been called as Asura.
Again in Rigveda 8/42/1 Varuna has been called as Asura
अस्तभ्नाद दयामसुरो विश्ववेदा अमिमीत वरिमाणं पर्थिव्याः |
LORD of all wealth, the Asura propped the heavens, and measured out the broad earth’s wide expanses.
Indra is called Asura in Rigved 1/54/3
बर्हच्छ्रवा असुरो बर्हणा कर्तः पुरो हरिभ्यां वर्षभो रथो हि षः ||
High glory hath the Asura, compact of strength, drawn on by two Bay Steeds: a Bull, a Car is he.
तवं राजेन्द्र ये च देवा रक्षा नॄन पाह्यसुर तवमस्मान |
YOU art the King of all the Gods, O Indra: protect the men, O Asura, preserve us.
Agni is also called Asura is Rigveda 5/12/1
पराग्नये बर्हते यज्ञियाय रतस्य वर्ष्णे असुराय मन्म |
To Agni, lofty Asura, meet for worship, Steer of eternal Law, my prayer I offer;
Rudra, who in the Puranas is known as Shiva is also called Asura in Rigveda 5/42/11
यक्ष्वा महे सौमनसाय रुद्रं नमोभिर देवम असुरं दुवस्य ||
Worship thou Rudra for his great good favour: adore the Asura, God, with salutations.
These are more than sufficient to refute the Hindu claim that Asura is a demon. If they want to malign Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) as a demon, let them first malign their own gods whom they worship with pride.
If Hindus feel that the information I have given here is not correct, then let them disprove it with proper references.